Single Digital Gateway

Taking a deceased person out of the Netherlands

Do you wish to transport the body of a deceased person from the Netherlands to a foreign country? To do this, you need transportation authorisation from the municipality where the person died. This is called a laissez-passer. In most cases, the funeral director submits the application for you.

If you wish to take the body of a deceased person to Belgium or Luxembourg, you do not need a laissez-passer. However, you must have written permission from the municipality, stating that that you may bury or cremate the deceased person. This is called leave for burial (verlof tot begraven) or leave for cremation (verlof tot cremeren). You submit the application for this leave at the same time as you register the death.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Taking a deceased person out of the Netherlands

The funeral director usually arranges transport abroad for you. You need permission from the municipality for transport from the Netherlands. The municipality then issues a ticket: a laissez-passer. This is done by the municipality where the death certificate was drawn up.

For more information contact the municipality at phone number +31 180 451 234, send an e-mail to or fill in our contact form.


Contact details are not yet available for your municipality.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Public Information Service

Last updated on 26 September 2022