Single Digital Gateway

Taking a deceased person out of the Netherlands

Do you wish to transport the body of a deceased person from the Netherlands to a foreign country? To do this, you need transportation authorisation from the municipality where the person died. This is called a laissez-passer. In most cases, the funeral director submits the application for you.

How does this work for you?

Start typing your (future) place of residence and use the arrow keys make your selection.

If you wish to take the body of a deceased person to Belgium or Luxembourg, you do not need a laissez-passer. However, you must have written permission from the municipality, stating that that you may bury or cremate the deceased person. This is called leave for burial (verlof tot begraven) or leave for cremation (verlof tot cremeren). You submit the application for this leave at the same time as you register the death.

Last updated on 26 September 2022