Single Digital Gateway

Registering the ending of a civil partnership in the civil registry in the Netherlands

Have you had your civil partnership ended by a lawyer or notary? Then they will register the final order (Akte ontbinding van geregistreerd partnerschap) with the civil registry (burgerlijke stand). Have you had your civil partnership ended by a court? Then the court will have the final order registered with the civil registry.

Ending a civil partnership outside of the courts

Your lawyer or notary sends the final order to the civil registry for registration. This is done within 3 months.

Ending a civil partnership by a judge in court

If a judge ends your civil partnership, registration with the civil registry follows within 6 months.

The final order should be registered with the registry office of the municipality where you formed your civil partnership. You must do this within 3 months if the final order is issued by a lawyer or notary, 6 months if issued by a court. Only then is your civil partnership legally ended.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

report divorce

You apply for a divorce from the court. You need a lawyer for this. As soon as the municipality registers the divorce in the registry office, it is official. Your lawyer will send the court's decision to the municipality where you are married. You can also report this yourself to the municipality. Your former partner may also do this. Is the judge's decision final (irrevocable)? Then you must report this within 6 months.

To notify the divorce you need:

- a written request for registration in the register of civil status 

- proof (order) of the court's decision 

- the deeds of resignation, this means that you do not appeal against the judge's decision 

name change

If you are (or have been) married, you can indicate by means of a 'request for designation of name use' under which name you wish to be addressed by the government. Read more information about the possibilities of changing name usage.

You or your lawyer report the divorce to the municipality. You can only register the divorce in the municipality where you were married. 

Would you like more information on this topic? Please contact us via or telephone (0541) 58 81 11

Registration of the ending of a civil partnership is free of charge.

The municipality will process the data within 1 week.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Oldenzaal

Last updated on 22 September 2022