Single Digital Gateway

Registering the ending of a civil partnership in the civil registry in the Netherlands

Have you had your civil partnership ended by a lawyer or notary? Then they will register the final order (Akte ontbinding van geregistreerd partnerschap) with the civil registry (burgerlijke stand). Have you had your civil partnership ended by a court? Then the court will have the final order registered with the civil registry.

Ending a civil partnership outside of the courts

Your lawyer or notary sends the final order to the civil registry for registration. This is done within 3 months.

Ending a civil partnership by a judge in court

If a judge ends your civil partnership, registration with the civil registry follows within 6 months.

The final order should be registered with the registry office of the municipality where you formed your civil partnership. You must do this within 3 months if the final order is issued by a lawyer or notary, 6 months if issued by a court. Only then is your civil partnership legally ended.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Terminate registered partnership

To end a registered partnership, you go to a civil-law notary or lawyer. In some cases you have to go to court with your lawyer. The registered partnership is only terminated after it has been registered in the registers of civil status.

A registered partnership also ends if:

  • you have the registered partnership converted into a marriage
  • 1 of them dies or is missing for a long time

The conditions for terminating a registered partnership through a notary or lawyer are:

  • You have no children under the age of 18.
  • You both want to end the registered partnership.

Do you have children under the age of 18? Or do you disagree about the termination of the partnership or about the arrangements? Then you have to go to court. You need a lawyer for this.

In case of a judge’s ruling:

  • The original court decision. This must be signed by the griffier (court clerk).
  • The akte van berusting (a waiver of the right to appeal). This is proof that you are not appealing the judge’s ruling. This waiver must contain the request to register the ending of your civil partnership.

In case of a beëindigingsovereenkomst (termination agreement):

  • The declaration from the lawyer or notary stating that a beëindigingsovereenkomst (termination agreement) has been concluded.
  • The beëindigingsovereenkomst (termination agreement).

You can take or send the papwerwork to:

Klant Contact Centrum (KCC)
Markt 50, Meerssen

Postbus 90
6230 AB Meerssen

Registration of the ending of a civil partnership is free of charge.

The municipality will process the data within 1 week.

You can appeal against the decision of the court.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Meerssen

Last updated on 22 September 2022