Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Stichtse Vecht: Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

  • Let us know if you are staying abroad for longer than 8 months
  • You must give notice at least 5 days before departure
  • If someone continues to live at your address in Stichtse Vecht, all persons who do go abroad must visit the municipality in person by appointment. This also applies to minors.
  • Make an appointment
  • Bring a valid identity document
  • You can only register online with DigiD if nobody is staying at your address.

How it works

If all persons of the address are moving abroad, you can let us know about moving abroad online or in person at the counter. Please let us know about moving for the following persons:

  • yourself (as of 16 years of age)
  • spouses or registered partners living together: for each other
  • parent, guardian or caretaker: for their children under 16 years of age
  • children older than 16: for their live-in parents
  • the guardian: for a person under guardianship

Note: if you are cohabiting (i.e. not married or registered as a partner), then each must file the declaration for themselves.

If not all the occupants of the address are moving abroad, then you and everyone moving with you should make an appointment to visit the municipal office to report the move. Online declaration is not possible.

Proof of deregistration

Many countries require proof of deregistration. Ask for this when youregister your emigration. A proof of deregistration is required when you register your departure to Curaçao, Bonaire or St. Maarten. You will need this proof when registering there. After your emigration you can request this proof from a municipality with a Register Niet Ingezetenen (Non-residents Records Database). Visit to see municipalities this applies to.

  • a valid identity document


Please fill in our contact form.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Stichtse Vecht

Visiting address

Endelhovenlaan 1

3601GR Maarssen

Opening hours
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
Last updated on 26 September 2022