Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Please note: you can report that you are moving outside the Netherlands only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

  • Are you moving outside the Netherlands on your own? If so, you can report your departure online.
  • Is your entire family moving outside the Netherlands? If so, you must report your departure to the municipality in writing or at its service desk.


You can report your departure online on the day of your move. You need your DigiD to do this.

If you don't have DigiD, please call our municipal service number 14 010. When you call from abroad, call +31 10 267 16 25.

In writing

You can only report that you are moving by post if all the members of your family are moving with you.

Fill in the form. Send the form together with a copy of a valid passport, Dutch identity card or residence permit for you and your family to:

Gemeente Rotterdam
Klantcontact, afdeling Migratie
P.O. Box 70013
3000 KR Rotterdam

Reporting a move is free of charge.

Your  deregistration by post or online will be processed within 4 weeks.

Give an indication of the date of your departure, you will be deregistered on that date.

If you give no date of departure, then the date the municipality receives your notice will be adopted as your date of departure.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Rotterdam

Last updated on 26 September 2022