Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Oisterwijk: Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you moving abroad from Oisterwijk? Please notify us within 5 days before departure. You will be deregistered if you have been abroad for at least 8 months of a year. This period does not have to be consecutive. If not all residents of an address move abroad, the persons who leave must visit us in person. This also applies to minors.

In many countries you need proof of deregistration from your last place of residence. This proof of deregistration is free. If you file the emigration declaration on the emigration date itself, you will receive the proof immediately. If you submit the declaration digitally or if the emigration date is in the future, we will send the proof to your new address abroad. If you need proof of deregistration again at a later date, request this via one of the RNI municipalities. An overview of these municipalities can be found at

Changing your adress is free.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Oisterwijk

Visiting address

De Lind 44

5061HX Oisterwijk

Opening hours
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 19.00
8.30 - 13.00
Last updated on 26 September 2022