Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Moving abroad

  • Is everybody from the same address moving outside the Netherlands? If so, you can report your departure online or in writing.
  • Will people continue to live at your current address in the Netherlands? If so, you can report your departure at the service desk.


You can report your departure online. You need DigiD to do this.

In writing

Write a letter.

The letter must specify:

  • the country in which you are going to live;
  • the address you are going to live (with the name of the residence);
  • the date of your departure.

Send this letter together with a copy of your valid identity document to the municipality of Noordwijk, Postbus 298, 2200 AG Noordwijk, the Netherlands.

At the service desk

First make an appointment. You can make an appointment online (in Dutch) or by phoning +31 71 36 60 000. Bring your valid identity document to your appointment.

Reporting your departure is free of charge.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Noordwijk

Visiting address

Voorstraat 42

2201HW Noordwijk

Opening hours
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
Last updated on 26 September 2022