Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Moving abroad

Please note: you can report that you are moving outside the Netherlands only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Do you live at one address with several family members and not everyone goes with you? Then everyone who does go along must personally visit the municipality. This also applies to children under the age of 18.

Is there no one left behind at the address where you are registered? Then you can also notify us of your move abroad in writing. Do you have a cohabitation contract? In that case, you and your partner report the departure abroad separately.

In writing

You can only report your move by post if all members of your family are moving with you. You can request the form for this from the Customer Contact Center of the municipality of Midden-Delfland, telephone (015) 380 41 11.

At the service desk

Would you like to report the departure of you and your family at the desk? First make an appointment via https://afreken. Please bring your valid ID with you to your appointment.

Reporting a move is free of charge.

  • Reporting by post: 5 working days.
  • Reporting at the service desk: processed immediately by the municipality.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Midden-Delfland

Visiting address

Anna van Raesfeltstraat 37

2636HX Schipluiden

Opening hours
Last updated on 26 September 2022