Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Moving Abroad (Emigration)

Please note: You can only report your move abroad (outside the Netherlands) if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

  • You can register your move outside the Netherlands (emigration) to us from 1 month before you move.
  • Registering your move abroad is free of charge.
  • Do you need proof of your deregistration (uitschrijven) from the municipality? Let us know when you report your move to us. We cannot provide proof of deregistration after you have moved and will have to direct you to the Register of Non-residents (Register Niet-Ingezetenen, RNI). You will receive proof of deregistration by post or email, either on the date of emigration or afterwards.

Who can register a move outside the Netherlands?

  • Parents, guardians and carers for children under the age of 16. 
  • Parents, guardians and carers for cohabiting children aged 16 or older, unless the child themselves reports the move. 
  • Guardians for those placed under guardianship. 
  • A parent and their adult child can report on each other's behalf if they share the same residence. 
  • Spouses or civil partners can report on each other's behalf if they share the same residence.

Moving outside of the Netherlands on your own? You can report your move abroad online.


You can report your emigration online from 1 month before you move.

Registering a move is free of charge.

Processing your notification will take about 1 week.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Maastricht

Visiting address

Mosae Forum 10

6211DW Maastricht

Opening hours
08:30 - 16:30
08:30 - 16:30
08:30 - 16:30
11:00 - 19:00
08:30 - 12:30
Last updated on 26 September 2022