Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Moving abroad

Please note: you can report that you are moving outside the Netherlands only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Are you moving outside the Netherlands? If so, you can report your departure online.

Is your entire family moving outside the Netherlands? If so, you must report your departure to the municipality in writing or at its service desk.

Report your departure online

You can report your departure online on the day of your move. You need your DigiD to do this.

If you move abroad you must deregister at the latest 5 days before departure. You can deregister at the earliest 4 weeks before departure. 

Report departure online

Report your departure in writing

You can only report that you are moving by post if all the members of your family are moving with you.

Fill in the [form for departure outside the Netherlands]. Send the form together with a copy of a valid passport, Dutch identity card or residence permit for you and your family to Postbus 90, 7580 AB Losser.

Write a letter stating your old and (if known) new address.

The letter must specify:

  • the country in which you are going to live;
  • the date of your departure;
  • a clear signature (not initials).

Send this letter together with a copy of your identity document to [adres gemeente]. Or email all the documents to [e-mailadres].

At the service desk

Do you want to report the departure of you and your family at the service desk? First make an appointment by calling +31 53 537 74 44. Bring a valid form of identification to your appointment.

You must specify your new address at the appointment, if already known. You must always specify the country in which you will be living.

You can report the departure of the following people at the same time as you report your own:

  • your spouse;
  • your civil partner;
  • your children;
  • your parents.

These persons must be registered with you at the same address.

Do you have a samenlevingscontract (cohabitation agreement)? If so, you and your partner must report the departure outside the Netherlands separately.

Reporting a move is free of charge.

Your departure is processed immediately by the municipality. This applies to both the online and written process.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Losser

Last updated on 26 September 2022