Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Moving abroad

You can only report your move abroad if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

  • Are you moving abroad alone? Then you can report your departure online.
  • Isn't your whole family moving abroad? Then you must report your departure in writing or at the counter of the municipality.


You can report your departure online on the day of your move. You need DigiD for this.

Report a move abroad

At the counter

Would you like to report the departure of you and your family at the desk? Make an appointment first. Please bring your valid ID with you to your appointment. You must provide your new address, if it is already known. You must always state in which country you are going to live.

You can report the departure of the following people at the same time as you leave:

  • your husband or wife;
  • your registered partner;
  • your children;
  • your parents.

They must be registered with you at the same address.

Do you have a cohabitation contract? In that case, you and your partner will have to report the departure abroad separately.

Reporting a move is free.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Krimpenerwaard

Visiting address

Dorpsplein 8

2821AS Stolwijk

Opening hours
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 16.00
17.00 - 20.00
8.30 - 17.00
Last updated on 26 September 2022