Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Moving abroad

Please note: you can report that you are moving outside the Netherlands only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Who can report a move?

  • yourself, if you are 16 years or older;
  • Spouses, if they move to the same address together;
  • An authorized representative;
  • A parent or guardian, for a resident child;
  • A head of a health care facility, if the patient is unable to report the move themselves.

Please note: if you and your partner are not married or do not have a registered partnership, then both partners must file a separate declaration of the move.

If you move abroad and stay there for longer than 8 months within one year, you must report this to the municipality of Hof van Twente before departure. You can submit this digitally with your DigiD.

You can also report your move abroad to the public desk in the town hall. You can make an appointment online for this.

Reporting a move is free of charge.

  • Reporting by email or post: 5 working days.
  • Reporting at the service desk: processed immediately by the municipality.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Hof van Twente

Visiting address

De Höfte 7


Opening hours
12:00 - 19:30
9:00 - 13:00
9:00 - 17:00
9:00 - 13:00
9:00 - 13:00
Last updated on 26 September 2022