Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Moving abroad

  • You inform the municipality of your new address abroad. Do you not yet have a permanent address abroad? In that case, state your 1st residence address abroad. For example, the address of a hotel, family member or acquaintance
  • You must always notify the municipality of your departure abroad. Someone else can't do this for you
  • For children under the age of 16, a parent/guardian will notify you of the move
  • In many countries, for example the Antilles and Belgium, you need proof of deregistration. Please ask us for this when you notify us of your departure. If you have already left, request this proof from a municipality with a Register of Non Residents (RNI)

What do you have to do

  • If all residents of an address are going to move, you must report this online: moving abroad (DigiD)
  • You can also make an appointment to go to the counter. If you are married, only 1 person from the family has to come to the counter
  • If a family member stays behind, you must come to the counter: make an appointment for 5 working days before your departure. All family members must come along. Bring a valid ID from everyone

Report your move

Notify the municipality of changes in your personal data. If you don't do this, you can get a fine.

See the possible costs on

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Hilversum

Last updated on 26 September 2022