Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Moving abroad (emigration)

If you are moving abroad, you must notify the municipality.

You report your emigration to the municipality up to 5 days in advance. Note: when you make the notification, you will also be deregistered immediately. You must make a notification if you are going abroad for more than 8 months in a period of 1 year. These 8 months do not have to be consecutive.

If all family members of the address are moving abroad with you, you can file an online declaration with DigiD below. This can be done by:

  • yourself, if you are 16 years of age or older
  • by parent, guardian or caretaker for minor children
  • cohabiting spouses / registered partners for each other
  • cohabiting parents and adult children for each other

Submit your emigration digitally, or make an appointment at the Stadswinkel if your case involves compulsory appearance.

Reporting a move is free of charge.

Reporting digitally: processed by the municipality immediately.
Reporting at the counter: processed by the municipality immediately.

A certificate of deregistration is issued to you after the declaration has been processed.

Do you need a proof of deregistration? Apply for this at an RNI municipality. These municipalities are Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, Den Haag, Doetinchem, Eindhoven, Groningen, Goes, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Utrecht, Venlo, Westland and Zwolle.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Helmond

Last updated on 26 September 2022