Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.


Please note. You can only report your move abroad if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Report your departure to the municipality as soon as possible. The day on which we receive your notification is the departure date. It is not possible to backdate your move.


Use the form online to report your move. If you do not have DigiD you use the form to report your move without DigiD.


You can also report the move by mail instead of online. This is possible at the earliest 4 weeks in advance and at the latest on the day of your departure.

Send a letter to: Gemeente Groningen, P.O. Box 30026, 9700 RM Groningen. Include the following information:

  • Personal information
  • Moving date
  • Old and new address
  • Telephone number
  • Names of the people who are moving with you.
  • Copy of valid ID (passport, ID card or driver's license) of all moving persons.
  • Signature

To the counter

Make an appointment to come by. You can only report a move abroad for yourself and family members living with you.


  • Valid proof of identity for yourself and all living family members.
  • If a family member continues to live at your address, then all family members who leave your address must come to the appointment.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Groningen

Also useful

Last updated on 26 September 2022