Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Moving abroad

Please note: you can report that you are moving outside the Netherlands only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Are you moving outside the Netherlands? If so, you can report your departure online.

Is your entire family moving outside the Netherlands? If so, you must report your departure to the municipality in writing or at its service desk.

Report your departure online

You can report your departure online on the day of your move. You need your DigiD to do this.

If you move abroad you must deregister at the latest 5 days before departure. You can deregister at the earliest 4 weeks before departure. 

Report departure online

Report your departure in writing

You can only report your move by post if all members of your family move with you.

Write a letter with your old and (if known) new address.

The letter must state:

  • In which country you will live
  • The date of your departure
  • A clear signature (no initials)

Send this letter together with a copy of your proof of identity to PO Box 20, 7500 AA, Enschede.

At the counter

Would you like to report the departure of you and your family at the counter? Call the municipality on +31 53 481 81 81. Bring your valid ID to your appointment.

At the appointment you must provide your new address, if this is already known. You must always state in which country you are going to live.

At the same time as you leave, you can report the departure of these persons:

  • Your husband or wife
  • Your registered partner
  • Your children
  • Your parents

These persons must be registered with you at the same address.

Do you have a cohabitation contract? In that case, you and your partner will report your departure abroad separately.

Reporting a move is free of charge.

Your departure is processed immediately by the municipality. This applies to both the online and written process.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Enschede

Last updated on 26 September 2022