Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Doetinchem: Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Please note that you can only report that you are moving outside the Netherlands if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

  • Are you moving outside the Netherlands on your own? If so, you can report your departure online.
  • Is your entire family moving outside the Netherlands? If so, you must report your departure to the municipality in writing or at its service desk.


You can report your departure online on the day of your move. You need your DigiD to do this.

In writing

You can only report that you are moving by mail if all the members of your family are moving with you.

Write a signed letter. The letter must have the following information:

  • the names and dates of birth of all the family members moving with you;
  • your old address;
  • what country you are moving to;
  • your new adress in this country;
  • your date of departure;
  • a clear signature (no initials).

Send this letter along with a copy of your proof of identification to

Postbus 9020
7000 HA Doetinchem

You can also email the documents to

At the service desk

Do you want to report the departure of you and your family at the service desk? You will first have to make an appointment through Afspraak maken | Gemeente Doetinchem. Bring a valid form of identification to your appointment.

You must specify your new address at the appointment, if this is already known. You must always specify the country in which you will be living.

You can report the departure of the following people at the same time as you report your own:

  • your spouse;
  • your registered partner;
  • your children;
  •  your parents.

These persons must be registered with you at the same address.

Do you have a cohabitation agreement (samenlevingscontract)? If so, you and your partner must seperately  report the departure to another country.

Reporting your move is free of charge.

  • Submit by (e-)mail: takes 5 business days
  • Report at the service desk: processed directly by the municipality

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Doetinchem

Last updated on 26 September 2022