Single Digital Gateway

Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live outside the Netherlands for at least 8 months in 1 year? If so, you must deregister from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). The BRP contains your personal data, such as your name, gender and date of birth. You can deregister from the BRP through the municipality where you live. 

Deregistration from your municipality is subject to certain conditions:

  • You cannot deregister until 5 days before your departure. This includes weekends and public holidays.
  • You can deregister in writing or in person at the municipality service desk. This depends on your situation. In some municipalities, you can deregister online. Ask your municipality whether this is possible.
  • Are not all your family members, such as your partner and children, moving with you? In that case, at many municipalitys you must always deregister in person. Deregistering by post or online is then not possible.
  • You can also deregister if the 8 months in which you intend to live outside the Netherlands are not consecutive.

It may be important for you to have proof of deregistration, for example because you need to demonstrate to an organisation that you have been deregistered. Request proof of deregistration from the BRP via your municipality. Do this when you have yourself deregistered. Proof of deregistration demonstrates that you have been deregistered from the Netherlands. This proof specifies your personal details and the date of your deregistration.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Apeldoorn: Deregistering from the municipality in the event of a long stay outside the Netherlands

Are you going to live abroad? Or are you abroad for more than 8 months in a 1-year period? If so, you must deregister with your municipality. Do family members stay behind at your current address in the Netherlands? Then you have to report to the municipality in person.

You start living abroad or you stay abroad for more than 8 months within 1 year. These 8 months do not have to be consecutive.

Notify your departure at the earliest 4 weeks in advance and at the latest on the day of departure.

You can notify your departure abroad in two ways:


Notifying your departure abroad online is possible only if no family members remain at the address. Report your departure abroad online.


If family members remain at the address, you, and all persons leaving abroad (including minors), must always report your departure in person at the counter.

Make an appointment to communicate your departure abroad.

Bring with you to the appointment:

  • A valid identity document

Reporting a move is free of charge.

  • Reporting by email or post: 5 working days.
  • Reporting at the service desk: processed immediately by the municipality.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Apeldoorn

Visiting address

Marktplein 1

7311LG Apeldoorn

Opening hours
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 19:30
08:30 - 12:30
Last updated on 26 September 2022