Single Digital Gateway

Applying to get married in the Netherlands

Are you planning to get married? If you intend to get married, you must notify the municipality of this at least 2 weeks and not more than 1 year before the wedding.

There are certain requirements for marriage that everyone must meet:

  • you must be at least 18 years of age;
  • you cannot marry someone who is already married or in a civil partnership;
  • you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling.

Are you getting married to a non-Dutch citizen in the Netherlands? Then different conditions apply.

If you intend to marry someone of the same sex, you can get married in the Netherlands in the presence of the civil registrar. This is called a civil marriage, and you are only legally married once you have had a civil ceremony. In addition, it is possible to have a religious ceremony in some churches, but not all churches allow it. Check first with the church where you want to have the ceremony. A church wedding can only take place after the civil ceremony.

If you are getting married outside the Netherlands and are not yet 18 years old, your marriage will only be recognised in the Netherlands once both spouses have reached 18 years of age.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Marriage and register partnership

If you want to get married or want to register your partnership in West Betuwe, you can report this online via the button 'Report Marriage or Registered Partnership' to us.
We are happy to help you make it an unforgettable day.

Are you getting married in another municipality? 
Then you arrange this in the municipality where you are getting married.

Are you getting married at a location category A or B? 
Please contact the location holder first to confirm the appointment there. The location itself can also charge costs. Where it says marriage or getting married, we also mean partnership registration.

To report you need: DigiD of both partners, a copy of the ID of both partners and a copy of the ID of the witnesses.

If you want to get married at a one-off free wedding location, category D. 
Start your application well in advance. The entire process from the application to the decision takes at least 12 weeks. Do you want your own babs (extraordinary civil registrar)? It is currently very busy at the court with the applications to be sworn in as a wedding official. Therefore, make sure that you submit the documents in time to avoid disappointment! If the babs has not yet been sworn in, we will first invite him or her for an interview.

Before submitting the online report, carefully read the information under 'Your wishes'. NB! When you report your marriage or registered partnership, you immediately pay the costs via iDeal. At the moment we cannot yet schedule weddings in the new town hall. As soon as it is clear when this is possible, it will be visible in the online notification of your marriage.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of West Betuwe

Visiting address

Kuipershof 2

4191KH Geldermalsen

Opening hours
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 -17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 12:30
Last updated on 21 September 2022