Single Digital Gateway

Applying to get married in the Netherlands

Are you planning to get married? If you intend to get married, you must notify the municipality of this at least 2 weeks and not more than 1 year before the wedding.

There are certain requirements for marriage that everyone must meet:

  • you must be at least 18 years of age;
  • you cannot marry someone who is already married or in a civil partnership;
  • you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling.

Are you getting married to a non-Dutch citizen in the Netherlands? Then different conditions apply.

If you intend to marry someone of the same sex, you can get married in the Netherlands in the presence of the civil registrar. This is called a civil marriage, and you are only legally married once you have had a civil ceremony. In addition, it is possible to have a religious ceremony in some churches, but not all churches allow it. Check first with the church where you want to have the ceremony. A church wedding can only take place after the civil ceremony.

If you are getting married outside the Netherlands and are not yet 18 years old, your marriage will only be recognised in the Netherlands once both spouses have reached 18 years of age.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Stichtse Vecht: Applying to get married

  • notify the municipality where you are getting married or registering a partnership, free of charge
  • make the notification no more than 1 year, but at least 2 weeks before the ceremony.

If you are getting married in the municipality of Stichtse Vecht, the notification of intended marriage or partnership will take place here. After you have booked a date for your wedding via the website (only available in Dutch), you will receive an email containing a link that allows you to make the notification of intended marriage. Along with the notification, you will also inform the witnesses and you will send a copy of their identification documents.

How does intended marriage from outside the Netherlands work


  • you have the Dutch nationality and live abroad
  • you wish to marry or enter into a registered partnership in the Netherlands.

Make the notification of the intended marriage at They will forward the intention to the municipality of Stichtse Vecht.

How does intended marriage for foreign nationalities or people born abroad work?


  • you live abroad, have lived abroad or have been married abroad
  • you may need to submit documents, such as a birth certificate, unmarried declaration, death certificate or marriage certificate with divorce documents

Keep in mind:

  • that requesting documents can take a long time
  • documents sometimes need to be translated or legalized. Foreign documents are not automatically legally valid

Check with the municipality what documents you need and what requirements they must meet. Use our contact form for this.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Stichtse Vecht

Visiting address

Endelhovenlaan 1

3601GR Maarssen

Opening hours
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
Last updated on 21 September 2022