Single Digital Gateway

Applying to get married in the Netherlands

Are you planning to get married? If you intend to get married, you must notify the municipality of this at least 2 weeks and not more than 1 year before the wedding.

There are certain requirements for marriage that everyone must meet:

  • you must be at least 18 years of age;
  • you cannot marry someone who is already married or in a civil partnership;
  • you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling.

Are you getting married to a non-Dutch citizen in the Netherlands? Then different conditions apply.

If you intend to marry someone of the same sex, you can get married in the Netherlands in the presence of the civil registrar. This is called a civil marriage, and you are only legally married once you have had a civil ceremony. In addition, it is possible to have a religious ceremony in some churches, but not all churches allow it. Check first with the church where you want to have the ceremony. A church wedding can only take place after the civil ceremony.

If you are getting married outside the Netherlands and are not yet 18 years old, your marriage will only be recognised in the Netherlands once both spouses have reached 18 years of age.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Laarbeek: Applying to get married

You want to get married or register your partnership? Congratulations! And how nice that you want to do that in Laarbeek. In Laarbeek you can celebrate your wedding ceremony in almost any place you want. And on every day of the week. You can also indicate your preference for a wedding officiant. We do our best to ensure that the person can perform your wedding (unfortunately this is not always possible).

If neither you nor your partner live in the Netherlands, you must give notice of your marriage in the municipality of Den Haag (The Hague). You can find more information on how to register a marriage for Dutch citizens living outside the Netherlands at the website.

If you both have Dutch nationality and both live in the Netherlands, you can report your marriage online using your DigiD. Do you both not live in the Netherlands and do you and/or your partner not have Dutch nationality? Then you can only report your intended marriage/partnership in the municipality of The Hague. The conditions for getting married are: You must both be 18 years of age or older. Both of you must not be married. You are not allowed to have a registered partnership (except with each other). You may not be a direct relative of each other, so no brother/sister or parent/child. One of you must be a Dutch citizen or live in the Netherlands. Information about wedding venues Contact us for more information about the wedding venues. Did you know that? Keep in mind that a 'special' date is sometimes full months in advance. It is possible to have a free or simple ceremony. You are not allowed to throw rice, rose petals or confetti in front of the town hall and set off fireworks. You are not allowed to do that in town hall and you are also not allowed to release balloons and blow bubbles There is a difference between getting married and registered partnership. With a registered partnership you have almost the same rights as people who are married. The conditions, costs and procedure are the same. These are the main differences between a marriage and a registered partnership: You do not have to go to court to end a registered partnership if you agree and do not have minor children. You always have to go to court to dissolve a marriage. When you get married, you have to say yes to each other. This is not mandatory in a registered partnership. Not all countries recognize the registered partnership. This also applies to same-sex marriages. For more information, visit the website of the Central Government (link is external). An important agreement is: A man who has a registered partnership with the mother automatically becomes the father of the children born after the partnership has been registered.

When you register your marriage, you make a number of choices, which you communicate to the municipality. These choices relate to the ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities of the municipality.


Sign Up If you want to get married in Laarbeek, you must inform us. We used to call this going into marriage, now it's called reporting. This is possible from 1 year before the wedding date and must be reported at least 2 weeks before the wedding day. To register your marriage, you have to arrange a number of things with the municipality of Laarbeek. All of this is possible at once via our digital portal. Not digitally active? Of course you can also make an appointment at the town hall, contact us on telephone number 0492 469 700. You can read everything at your leisure below before making your report. Once you have made all your choices, click on: report. Please note: if you are going to apply for your marriage digitally, you must complete the notification in one go. You cannot save the data halfway. When you register your wedding day digitally, you must complete it digitally in one go. You need 4 things to submit the report. DigiD for both partners (no DigiD yet? You can request your DigiD here(link is external)) Digital file (photo) of the identification documents of both partners Digital file (photo) of the identification documents of the witnesses (total per bridal couple: minimum 2, maximum 4) Your debit card; to finalize the notification of your marriage, you must pay the costs (formally the fees). Choose date and time You can choose the date and time yourself. As long as we get it sorted, it can be done any day and any time. For example, a room and a wedding official must be available. Keep in mind that getting married on Saturdays and Sundays or outside office hours costs more than on other days. Look for this under the heading 'Costs'. The wedding ceremony will take approximately 30 minutes.

Wedding venues Click here to view photos and information about the different locations. City Hall You can choose the location yourself. You can of course get married in the town hall of Laarbeek. In the wedding room or if you are with a smaller group in the B&W room. If you want to get married in the town hall, you can immediately register the location on our site. The costs mentioned do not include additional costs for the reservation of the room. With a free wedding you will automatically be received in the consultation room in the town hall. A simple wedding ceremony takes place in the room of the mayor and aldermen. 5 other Laarbeek wedding locations There are also 5 other places in Laarbeek that have been registered as official wedding locations. In Beek en Donk you can visit the Oude Raadhuis next to the town hall. In Aarle-Rixtel these are: De Couwenbergh, Castle Croy and the Kouwenbergs Kerkje. In Lieshout it is De Heerenkamer in the Bavaria Brewery Café. If you choose one of these wedding locations, you still have to make the reservation separately at the wedding location of your choice. In addition, you pay additional costs for the use of the location at that wedding location. For this you make separate agreements with the manager of the wedding location. You must first record the reservation at the wedding location and if that is successful, you will definitely record your wedding day with the municipality. One-time wedding venue A one-time wedding venue is a place where - as the title says - you can get married for once. You can think of your own backyard or that of your parental home. Or you get married in another place that has a special meaning for you. It is wise to first contact one of our employees via the central telephone number 0492 469 700 or via e-mail (link sends e-mail). Then fill in the one-time wedding venue application form and print it out. Click here to download the form.

Choose your wedding officiant When dividing the marriages, we take into account as much as possible the preferences of the marriage registrar indicated by you. However, you may be assigned a different wedding officiant. This is always done in consultation with you. Together with the marriage registrar, the Special Registrar of the Civil Registry (Babs), you will discuss what the content of the marriage ceremony will look like. We tailor the ceremony as much as possible to your wishes, it's your day! You can read more about our wedding officers here. It is even possible to bring your own wedding officiant. There are separate conditions attached to this. Requirements for this are: A current appointment as a marriage officer in another municipality. A court sworn in as a marriage officer. You must submit a written request to the Burgerzaken team at least 2 months before the wedding day. You must also submit with the request: a copy of the passport of the marriage registrar, a copy of the audition sheet, a recent designation decision, a letter in which your municipality declares that you still regularly perform marriages there. Choose your witnesses It is mandatory to have witnesses at a marriage. That could be 2, 3 or 4 witnesses. Anyone over the age of 18 can witness. Witnesses must provide a copy of their valid ID. You will need this to report your marriage. The wedding officiant who performs the marriage can also use it during the ceremony to identify them.

Free wedding ceremony Don't want a ceremony at all? Then you can opt for a free marriage or partnership registration. This is only possible in the town hall and on Monday mornings at 9.00 or 09.15. The free marriages and partnerships are performed in the consultation room of civil affairs. A maximum of 6 people may be present (the bridal couple and a maximum of 4 witnesses). This ceremony takes a maximum of 5 minutes. Simple wedding ceremony Don't want an elaborate ceremony but just a little more than just signing the deed? Then you can choose a simple one. This is only possible in the town hall on Monday morning at 9.30 am or at 10 am. A simple wedding ceremony is performed in the room of the mayor and aldermen. A maximum of 15 people may be present. A short speech is part of this ceremony. This ceremony takes a maximum of 15 minutes. You can view the space here. wedding certificates A marriage certificate is not mandatory but can be a choice. You can then choose from different marriage certificates. A booklet consists of a cover and an insert. The covers and the inserts can be combined in any way. You can choose from: (insert photos wedding booklets) Day Time Costs at the municipality Monday 09:00 and 09:15 Free Monday (simple weddings) 09.30 and 10.00 € 222.00 Monday to Friday 09:00 - 17:00 € 446,00 Monday to Friday (Wedding location) 09.00 - 17.00 € 764.00 Saturday + Sunday 09.00 - 17.00 € 637.00 Saturday + Sunday (Wedding location) 09.00 - 17.00 € 1,018.00 Saturday + Sunday 17.00 - 19.00 € 828.00 Saturday + Sunday (Wedding location) 17.00 - 19.00 € 1273.00 Saturday + Sunday Surcharge 7pm - 9am €364.00 (extra) Marriage certificate € 38.00 Witness (from the municipality) p.p. € 65.00 (rates 2022)

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Laarbeek

Last updated on 21 September 2022