Single Digital Gateway

Applying to get married in the Netherlands

Are you planning to get married? If you intend to get married, you must notify the municipality of this at least 2 weeks and not more than 1 year before the wedding.

There are certain requirements for marriage that everyone must meet:

  • you must be at least 18 years of age;
  • you cannot marry someone who is already married or in a civil partnership;
  • you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling.

Are you getting married to a non-Dutch citizen in the Netherlands? Then different conditions apply.

If you intend to marry someone of the same sex, you can get married in the Netherlands in the presence of the civil registrar. This is called a civil marriage, and you are only legally married once you have had a civil ceremony. In addition, it is possible to have a religious ceremony in some churches, but not all churches allow it. Check first with the church where you want to have the ceremony. A church wedding can only take place after the civil ceremony.

If you are getting married outside the Netherlands and are not yet 18 years old, your marriage will only be recognised in the Netherlands once both spouses have reached 18 years of age.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Marriage or registered partnership

What do you need to know

  • You report your intended marriage or registered partnership to the municipality where you are getting married
  • If you are going to get married or register your partnership in Hilversum, you must notify us at least 14 days in advance
  • You can make the notification no earlier than 1 year before the wedding or partnership date
  • The notification is valid for 1 year. If you are not married by then, you have to report it again
  • Your personal data (of yourself, parents, divorce and/or partnerships) must be correct in the Personal Records Database (BRP). Check this with your DigiD on
  • If your details are incorrect or if you are missing information, please call the municipality as soon as possible via 14 035

Additional information

Additional information is needed in these situations:

  • You were born abroad
  • You do not have Dutch nationality
  • You have lived abroad or are living there now
  • Your previous marriage ended abroad

See the possible costs on

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Hilversum

Last updated on 21 September 2022