Single Digital Gateway

Applying for special social assistance

If you have a low income and it is impossible for you to pay exceptional and unexpected costs, you may be entitled to extra financial support from the municipality. This is called special social assistance (bijzondere bijstand).

Special social assistance is subject to the following conditions among others:

  • you are lawfully living and staying in the Netherlands.
  • you do not have enough income and funds to pay the costs yourself.
  • you are at least 18 years old.
  • you have expenses due to an exceptional or urgent situation, such as surgery or moving house.
  • you cannot cover the costs in any other way.;

Your municipality can tell you what other conditions apply in your situation.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

applying for special assistance

Please note: you can apply for bijzondere bijstand (special social assistance) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

You can apply for special social assistance from the municipality if you:

  • live in the municipality of Meerssen;
  • incurred the costs in the Netherlands.

Make contact with

You can make an appointment with a counselor from Social Affairs Maastricht-Heuvelland. This is the regional social service of 6 municipalities in South Limburg. This also applies to the municipality of Meerssen.

Also take a look at the website of Social Affairs Maastricht-Heuvelland.

Sociale Zaken Maastricht Heuvelland

Randwycksingel 22

6229 EE Maastricht

Postbus 4902

6202 TC Maastricht

 0031 (0)43-3661661 

The Maastricht municipality and the Heuvelland municipalities jointly have one implementing organization for Social Affairs.

The municipality will send you a letter within 8 weeks. It will state whether you will receive special social assistance and how much you will receive. It will also state whether you will receive special welfare assistance in the form of a loan or non-repayable allowance.

You can object to the decision on your application. Do this within 6 weeks. Do you subsequently disagree with the decision on the notice of objection? Then file an appeal with the court.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Meerssen

Last updated on 21 September 2022