Single Digital Gateway

Requesting permission to take off or land outside an airport

Do you want to take off or land your aircraft, such as a helicopter or a glider, outside an airport? Then you need a dispensation for temporary and exceptional use (tijdelijk en uitzonderlijk gebruik – TUG). You can apply for a TUG dispensation from the province.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Taking off or landing outside an airport

Do you want to take off or land with an aircraft outside the area of an airport? In that case, you need a TUG exemption. Applications can be submitted to the provincial authorities.

The aircraft for which you can obtain an exemption are:

  • helicopters
  • sailplanes (except paragliders)
  • microlight aircraft (MLAs)
  • unmanned aerial vehicles (drones) from 25 to 150 kg
  • seaplanes
  • agricultural aircraft
  • airships
  • aircraft for air shows

You will be granted a TUG exemption if your situation meets the following conditions:

  • The exemption is for one of the aircraft referred to above.
  • The site must meet the following requirements:
  • No temporary or permanent ban applies on civil aviation in the area.
  • The area is not a public training area for emergency landings.
  • The site is not located in a low-flying area, or within 3 nautical miles of a low-flying route (military aviation). This requirement does not apply during weekends or national holidays.
  • The area is outside designated nature conservation and quiet areas.

You do not need an exemption for:

  • model aircraft and drones with a maximum weight of 25 kg
  • hang gliders
  • paragliders
  • aircraft making an emergency or precautionary landing
  • hot air balloons

Do you use 1 location very often? In that case, you can request a certificate of no objection from the municipality. You can use this for all landings at that location.

You can apply for an exemption from the provincial authorities.

The provincial authorities will make a decision on your application within 8 weeks of receipt.

You can object to the decision on your application within 6 weeks. Do you disagree with the decision? In that case, you can appeal through the courts within 6 weeks.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Utrecht

Visiting address

Archimedeslaan 6

3584BA Utrecht

Opening hours
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 17:00
Last updated on 4 January 2024