Single Digital Gateway

Municipality of Veendam: registering with the municipality

You must inform us of your move to the Netherlands in person. You must make an appointment to do this.

+31 598652222

All family members who wish to be registered must come to the appointment with you. This includes babies, young children and elderly people.

Please bring the following to City Hall:

  • a valid identity document
  • a valid travel document or other document proving your nationality.

Bring if necessary

Bring the following to the town hall if it applies to you:

  • If you were born abroad: the birth certificate.
  • Depending on the country of birth, see Ministry of Justice circular on legalization.
  • In case of a foreign nationality: a proof of registration at the Foreigners Office.
  • Possibly a marriage certificate, a divorce certificate or a certificate as proof that the marriage was dissolved by death.
  • If you are from the Netherlands Antilles or Aruba: proof of deregistration.
  • Sometimes we ask for documents because we need proof that you live somewhere, for example a rental contract, proof of ownership or a statement from the main occupant of the property.

Registration is free of charge. You must pay the costs of translating or legalising official documents that you may need to take with you.

The municipality will register you in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) during the actual appointment. You will receive a confirmation letter. The municipality will send your citizen service number (BSN) by post within 4 weeks.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Veendam

Last updated on 12 December 2022