Single Digital Gateway

Registering with the municipality in the Netherlands

Do you intend to live in the Netherlands for more than 4 months? Then you must register in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). You can do this at the municipality where you intend to live.

You must register in the BRP at the municipality where your intended address is located. There is no charge for this.

If you have no fixed address, you must register your postal address. For example, if you are a ship’s captain, or where the institution that you are in, such as a prison or psychiatric facility, is located.  

Are you moving from one municipality to another municipality in the Netherlands? Then you must notify the new municipality of your change of address.

You must register with the municipality within 5 days of arriving in the Netherlands. You can do this at your municipality. Are your partner and/or children are coming with you to the Netherlands? They must come with you to the municipality.

Once you register in the BRP, you will receive a citizen service number (Burgerservicenummer – BSN). You will need this number for any contact with the Government of the Netherlands, such as when managing your taxes.


In some situations you can register later or in a different way:

  • You are going to be living in the Netherlands for less than 4 months. Then you can register in the BRP as a non-resident. For this you can use an address outside the Netherlands. You will still receive a BSN. 
  • You do not have valid residence status, and to be allowed to stay in the Netherlands, you need a residence permit (verblijfsvergunning). If you are waiting for your residence permit to arrive, you do not have to register within 5 days.
  • You are unable to prove your identity. This may require additional investigation. Registering with the municipality can then wait until the outcome of this investigation. After that, you will have to register. 

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering from abroad

All family members who want to register must come to the appointment. So also babies, young children and the elderly.

You must bring to the appointment:

  • A valid proof of identity of everyone who is going to register (this cannot be a driver's license).
  • Rental or purchase contract for your home or permission from the main occupant with whom you are going to live or the home owner.
  • Proof of deregistration if you come from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Saba or Sint Eustatius.

If you were born, married or divorced abroad, please also bring the following original documents:

  • your birth certificate;
  • the birth certificates of your partner and/or your children;
  • your marriage certificate or proof of registered partnership;
  • divorce papers;
  • adoption papers and/or a death certificate of your partner or child(ren).

Have we already seen these documents when you were still living in the Netherlands? And has nothing changed in your situation? Then you don't have to take it with you.

Sometimes your deed or document needs legalization and/or translation. You can view this per country on the website of the central government. Enter the country where your document was issued. Only English, German and French deeds are accepted without a translation by a sworn translator.

It can take up to 4 weeks before your registration is registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP). Are you also applying for a residence permit? Then your registration will become final when the municipality receives notification from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) that you are allowed to live in the Netherlands.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Utrecht

Visiting address

Stadsplateau 1

3521AZ Utrecht

Opening hours