Single Digital Gateway

Registering with the municipality in the Netherlands

Do you intend to live in the Netherlands for more than 4 months? Then you must register in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). You can do this at the municipality where you intend to live.

You must register in the BRP at the municipality where your intended address is located. There is no charge for this.

If you have no fixed address, you must register your postal address. For example, if you are a ship’s captain, or where the institution that you are in, such as a prison or psychiatric facility, is located.  

Are you moving from one municipality to another municipality in the Netherlands? Then you must notify the new municipality of your change of address.

You must register with the municipality within 5 days of arriving in the Netherlands. You can do this at your municipality. Are your partner and/or children are coming with you to the Netherlands? They must come with you to the municipality.

Once you register in the BRP, you will receive a citizen service number (Burgerservicenummer – BSN). You will need this number for any contact with the Government of the Netherlands, such as when managing your taxes.


In some situations you can register later or in a different way:

  • You are going to be living in the Netherlands for less than 4 months. Then you can register in the BRP as a non-resident. For this you can use an address outside the Netherlands. You will still receive a BSN. 
  • You do not have valid residence status, and to be allowed to stay in the Netherlands, you need a residence permit (verblijfsvergunning). If you are waiting for your residence permit to arrive, you do not have to register within 5 days.
  • You are unable to prove your identity. This may require additional investigation. Registering with the municipality can then wait until the outcome of this investigation. After that, you will have to register. 

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Moving from abroad and integration

Are you moving to 's-Hertogenbosch from abroad (immigration/inburgration)? Or will you be in the Netherlands for at least 4 months in the next six months? Then register in person at the municipality within 5 days of your arrival. Bring your partner and/or children who also need to be registered. The processing of your registration will take a maximum of 28 days, but we will arrange it as soon as possible.

Make an appointment here

During the appointment, the municipality will immediately register you in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). You will receive a confirmation letter. The municipality will send your BSN by post within 3 weeks.


All family members who want to register must come with you to the appointment. This includes babies, young children and the elderly.

Non-EU citizens

Are you coming to the Netherlands for the first time and do not have European nationality? Then first apply for a residence permit with the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). You can make an appointment with the IND via +31 88 043 04 30. For more information, visit the IND website.

Requirements for the application

Bring the following with you when you come to register with the municipality:

All persons you want to register in 's-Hertogenbosch must be present at the registration.
Valid proof of identity of each person being registered.
Travel document or other document proving your nationality.
Proof of deregistration if you are coming from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Saba, Sint Eustatius.
Original documents from abroad of yourself, your partner and children: e.g. birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce certificate and/or sometimes a death certificate.
These documents must be legalised in the country of origin. They must be translated into Dutch by a sworn translator in the Netherlands. Arrange this yourself. You can read how to do this on the central government website.

The municipality may ask you to show other documents. For example, a rental or purchase contract for your new home in the Netherlands.

Submitting documents from abroad

Has the municipality asked you for documents? Then make an appointment for the submission of deeds from abroad using the digital form.


Your registration is free of charge. You pay your own costs for translating or legalising official documents you may need to bring with you.

Dutch nationality

To obtain Dutch nationality, you must submit a request for naturalisation. You can do this at the municipality where you live. To do so, make an appointment with the Public Services Department at +31 73 615 51 55.

To obtain Dutch nationality, you must have a valid residence permit and meet certain conditions. You can read about this on the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).


More information about integration can be found on the Weener XL website.

Further information

For more information, contact the Municipality of 's-Hertogenbosch via telephone of WhatsApp +31 73 - 615 51 55 or send an e-mail via the digital contact form.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of 's-Hertogenbosch

Visiting address

Wolvenhoek 1

5211HH 's-Hertogenbosch

Opening hours
08.30 - 17.00
08.30 - 17.00
08.30 - 17.00
08.30 - 20.00
08.30 - 17.00