Single Digital Gateway

Registering with the municipality in the Netherlands

Do you intend to live in the Netherlands for more than 4 months? Then you must register in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). You can do this at the municipality where you intend to live.

You must register in the BRP at the municipality where your intended address is located. There is no charge for this.

If you have no fixed address, you must register your postal address. For example, if you are a ship’s captain, or where the institution that you are in, such as a prison or psychiatric facility, is located.  

Are you moving from one municipality to another municipality in the Netherlands? Then you must notify the new municipality of your change of address.

You must register with the municipality within 5 days of arriving in the Netherlands. You can do this at your municipality. Are your partner and/or children are coming with you to the Netherlands? They must come with you to the municipality.

Once you register in the BRP, you will receive a citizen service number (Burgerservicenummer – BSN). You will need this number for any contact with the Government of the Netherlands, such as when managing your taxes.


In some situations you can register later or in a different way:

  • You are going to be living in the Netherlands for less than 4 months. Then you can register in the BRP as a non-resident. For this you can use an address outside the Netherlands. You will still receive a BSN. 
  • You do not have valid residence status, and to be allowed to stay in the Netherlands, you need a residence permit (verblijfsvergunning). If you are waiting for your residence permit to arrive, you do not have to register within 5 days.
  • You are unable to prove your identity. This may require additional investigation. Registering with the municipality can then wait until the outcome of this investigation. After that, you will have to register. 

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Moerdijk: Registering with the municipality

If you are moving to Moerdijk from abroad, you must register in person with the municipality within 5 days of arrival. If you have a partner and/or children who also need to be registered, they must come with you.

Staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months?

Are you regularly in the Netherlands, but less than 4 months per year, or do you work in the Netherlands as a foreigner? Then you can register as a non-resident in the basic registration of persons.
This is not possible in all municipalities. There are special registration desks for this in a number of municipalities. More information can be found on the website of the national government .

Live in or cohabit

You need written permission from the main occupant.

You will personally report the move to the reception of the town hall. This is only possible by  appointment  . You bring the following:

  • valid original proof of identity
  • a travel document or other document proving your nationality
  • if you were born abroad: a birth certificate. You may need to legalize and translate the birth certificate
  • if applicable, a marriage certificate or a divorce certificate or proof that the marriage has been dissolved by death. You may need to have the deed or evidence legalized and translated.
  • Proof of deregistration from the local authority for citizens from Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, Sint Maarten and Sint Eustatius
  • Are you going to live with someone:

There are no costs associated with this service.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Moerdijk