Single Digital Gateway

Registering with the municipality in the Netherlands

Do you intend to live in the Netherlands for more than 4 months? Then you must register in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). You can do this at the municipality where you intend to live.

You must register in the BRP at the municipality where your intended address is located. There is no charge for this.

If you have no fixed address, you must register your postal address. For example, if you are a ship’s captain, or where the institution that you are in, such as a prison or psychiatric facility, is located.  

Are you moving from one municipality to another municipality in the Netherlands? Then you must notify the new municipality of your change of address.

You must register with the municipality within 5 days of arriving in the Netherlands. You can do this at your municipality. Are your partner and/or children are coming with you to the Netherlands? They must come with you to the municipality.

Once you register in the BRP, you will receive a citizen service number (Burgerservicenummer – BSN). You will need this number for any contact with the Government of the Netherlands, such as when managing your taxes.


In some situations you can register later or in a different way:

  • You are going to be living in the Netherlands for less than 4 months. Then you can register in the BRP as a non-resident. For this you can use an address outside the Netherlands. You will still receive a BSN. 
  • You do not have valid residence status, and to be allowed to stay in the Netherlands, you need a residence permit (verblijfsvergunning). If you are waiting for your residence permit to arrive, you do not have to register within 5 days.
  • You are unable to prove your identity. This may require additional investigation. Registering with the municipality can then wait until the outcome of this investigation. After that, you will have to register. 

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Laarbeek: Registering with the municipality

You must inform us of your move to the Netherlands in person. You must make an appointment to do this.

[afspraak maken]

The conditions for a first registration in the Netherlands are:

you have Dutch nationality, or
you do not have the EU/EEA or Swiss nationality, or
You are in possession of a residence permit or a Provisional Residence Permit (MVV).

You do not meet these conditions? Please feel free to contact the municipality. We like to help you.

Translate and legalize documents

Have the requested documents not been drawn up in Dutch, English, German or French? Or do you not have a multilingual model form? Then you have to have them translated. Is the translator sworn in in the Netherlands? Then you do not need to have the translation legalised. Is the translator sworn abroad? Then you must have the original document legalized again. This means that the authenticity of the document is established. Ask the municipality whether legalization is required.

You arrange the first registration personally at the town hall.
You make an appointment for this.

Would you also like to register your partner and/or children? They must all come to the town hall in person. You make an appointment for each person separately.

What you need:

-A valid proof of identity and/or document proving your nationality.

-You were not born in the Netherlands? Your birth certificate.

-All supporting documents relating to your personal status; e.g. marriage or divorce certificate, children's birth certificates, partner's death certificate, etc.

-Are you not married or a registered partner? A statement of not being married/not having a partnership.

-All documentary evidence that you live here; eg. rental contract, title deed, permission of the main occupant.

- Are you from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius or Saba? A proof of deregistration.

-Do you have proof of deregistration from the previous country? So take this with you.

Registration is free of charge. You must pay the costs of translating or legalising official documents that you may need to take with you.

The municipality will register you in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) during the actual appointment. You will receive a confirmation letter. The municipality will send your citizen service number (BSN) by post within 3 weeks.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Laarbeek