Single Digital Gateway

Registering with the municipality in the Netherlands

Do you intend to live in the Netherlands for more than 4 months? Then you must register in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). You can do this at the municipality where you intend to live.

You must register in the BRP at the municipality where your intended address is located. There is no charge for this.

If you have no fixed address, you must register your postal address. For example, if you are a ship’s captain, or where the institution that you are in, such as a prison or psychiatric facility, is located.  

Are you moving from one municipality to another municipality in the Netherlands? Then you must notify the new municipality of your change of address.

You must register with the municipality within 5 days of arriving in the Netherlands. You can do this at your municipality. Are your partner and/or children are coming with you to the Netherlands? They must come with you to the municipality.

Once you register in the BRP, you will receive a citizen service number (Burgerservicenummer – BSN). You will need this number for any contact with the Government of the Netherlands, such as when managing your taxes.


In some situations you can register later or in a different way:

  • You are going to be living in the Netherlands for less than 4 months. Then you can register in the BRP as a non-resident. For this you can use an address outside the Netherlands. You will still receive a BSN. 
  • You do not have valid residence status, and to be allowed to stay in the Netherlands, you need a residence permit (verblijfsvergunning). If you are waiting for your residence permit to arrive, you do not have to register within 5 days.
  • You are unable to prove your identity. This may require additional investigation. Registering with the municipality can then wait until the outcome of this investigation. After that, you will have to register. 

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Moving to Houten from abroad

You must report your move from abroad to the municipality in person. Please make an appointment to do so.

You can use the links below to make an appointment. Make a choice whether you have previously lived or settled in the Netherlands.

I have lived in the Netherlands before

I have not lived in the Netherlands before

All family members who wish to be registered must come to the appointment with you. This includes babies, young children and elderly people.

What to bring.

To make the declaration at the town hall counter, you will need the following documents:

  • Valid proof of identity (showing nationality) of all persons to be registered,
  • rental contract or permission of the main tenant of the address where you live, including a copy of his or her identity document,
  • if you were not born in the Netherlands: your birth certificate,
  • if you have a non-European nationality: proof that the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) has approved your stay (MVV),
  • if you come from Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, St. Eustatius or Saba: a removal notification,
    possibly the following certificates (if applicable):
    • a marriage or divorce certificate
    • a death certificate of your partner (as proof that the marriage was dissolved by death)
    • the birth certificates of your children.
  • a certificate of deregistration (if applicable), 
  • if you resettle in the Netherlands, bring all source documents concerning legal events that occurred after you deregistered.

Before your documents can be used in the Netherlands, they might have to be legalized. This is usually done in the country where the documents come from.

Are the documents not in Dutch, English, German or French? Then you must have them translated. Is the translator sworn in the Netherlands? Then you do not have to have the translation legalized. Is the translator sworn in abroad? Then you must also have the translation legalized by the authorities of the country of origin. More information about this can be found at of the Dutch government.

Registration is free of charge. You must pay the costs of translating or legalising official documents that you may need to take with you.

The municipality will register you in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) during the actual appointment. You will receive a confirmation letter. The municipality will send your citizen service number (BSN) by post within 3 weeks.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Houten