Single Digital Gateway

Registering with the municipality in the Netherlands

Do you intend to live in the Netherlands for more than 4 months? Then you must register in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). You can do this at the municipality where you intend to live.

You must register in the BRP at the municipality where your intended address is located. There is no charge for this.

If you have no fixed address, you must register your postal address. For example, if you are a ship’s captain, or where the institution that you are in, such as a prison or psychiatric facility, is located.  

Are you moving from one municipality to another municipality in the Netherlands? Then you must notify the new municipality of your change of address.

You must register with the municipality within 5 days of arriving in the Netherlands. You can do this at your municipality. Are your partner and/or children are coming with you to the Netherlands? They must come with you to the municipality.

Once you register in the BRP, you will receive a citizen service number (Burgerservicenummer – BSN). You will need this number for any contact with the Government of the Netherlands, such as when managing your taxes.


In some situations you can register later or in a different way:

  • You are going to be living in the Netherlands for less than 4 months. Then you can register in the BRP as a non-resident. For this you can use an address outside the Netherlands. You will still receive a BSN. 
  • You do not have valid residence status, and to be allowed to stay in the Netherlands, you need a residence permit (verblijfsvergunning). If you are waiting for your residence permit to arrive, you do not have to register within 5 days.
  • You are unable to prove your identity. This may require additional investigation. Registering with the municipality can then wait until the outcome of this investigation. After that, you will have to register. 

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Settling from abroad in the BRP

You must inform us of your move to the Netherlands in person. You must make an appointment to do this.

All family members who wish to be registered must come to the appointment with you. This includes babies, young children and elderly people.

Indicate personally by means of make an appointment at the civil affairs counter (at the counter or by telephone) Do you not have an EU/EEA or Swiss nationality? Then you need a residence permit. To do this, you must contact the Immigration and Naturalization Service for the application. You can then make an appointment for the 1st registration.


  • Valid proof of identity; Travel document or other document proving nationality;
  • Birth certificate if you were born abroad;
  • If you are (or have been) married: marriage certificate, divorce certificate or a certificate showing that the marriage has been dissolved by death;
  • Are you from the Ned. Antilles or Aruba: proof of deregistration. Citizens from Belgium or Germany can also be asked about this.
  • Any documents that relate to the property where you live. (rental contract, title deed or statement from the main occupant of the property).

Please note: depending on the country of birth, certificates from abroad must be legalised. More information can be found on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Registration is free of charge. You must pay the costs of translating or legalising official documents that you may need to take with you.

The municipality will register you in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) during the actual appointment. You will receive a confirmation letter. The municipality will send your citizen service number (BSN) by post within 3 weeks.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Gemert-Bakel

Visiting address

Ridderplein 1

5421CV Gemert

Opening hours