Single Digital Gateway

Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands

A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.

A birth certificate for a stillbirth is an official document, proving that your baby was born.

The birth certificate for a stillbirth is recorded in the Registers van de burgerlijke stand (Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships)

Choosing a surname for a stillborn baby

You may choose your child’s surname, which can be either the father’s or the mother’s surname. This choice does not affect the names of any subsequent children, meaning that you can choose a different surname in the future.

You can also register your stillborn baby in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) if you wish. This is a different procedure from registering the birth of your baby as stillborn. You do this in the municipality where you live.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Register your stillborn child in the Personal Records Database BRP

A stillbirth can be registered by:

  • the father or female partner of the mother;
  • the mother;
  • an employee of the hospital;
  • the funeral home;
  • others who know about the death.

Registration in the BRP

You can register your stillborn child in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) if you live or will be living in the Netherlands.

  • The certificate of the child from another municipality if it was born there
  • Valid proof of identity of yourself (passport, ID card or driver's license)
  • Possibly a marriage certificate, so that your child can be added to it.

We assume that a deed has already been drawn up. If not, we need more documents.

You live in Zwolle and the deed was drawn up in another municipality or you know that there is a deed in the municipality of Zwolle. You can then submit a request to the counter of the Municipal Office to add the child to your personal data. We ask you to make an appointment with us in advance, telephone number 14038. We have a separate meeting room available.

It is free to have a certificate drawn up. An afschrift (official copy) of the certificate entails costs.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Zwolle

Last updated on 27 September 2022