Single Digital Gateway

Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands

A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.

A birth certificate for a stillbirth is an official document, proving that your baby was born.

The birth certificate for a stillbirth is recorded in the Registers van de burgerlijke stand (Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships)

Choosing a surname for a stillborn baby

You may choose your child’s surname, which can be either the father’s or the mother’s surname. This choice does not affect the names of any subsequent children, meaning that you can choose a different surname in the future.

You can also register your stillborn baby in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) if you wish. This is a different procedure from registering the birth of your baby as stillborn. You do this in the municipality where you live.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering a stillbirth

If your child was stillborn, you can register your child in the BRP. You can make an appointment for this with the municipality via or telephone number 14-0348.

-You or your child are registered in the municipality of Woerden.
-You have been living in the Netherlands since 1 October 1994 or longer.
-You can only add your child to your own personal data. If the other parent also wants to register the child, he or she must make an appointment himself.
-It doesn't matter how long ago the mother was pregnant.
-The registering is done before the funeral or cremation.

-Your passport or ID card.
-A copy of the stillbirth certificate.

If your child was stillborn, make an appointment with the municipality where your child was born to register the birth. It is possible to erkennen (acknowledge parenthood) of your stillborn child upon registration. You can also have your child recorded in your trouwboekje (Livret de Famille or Family Book).

Booking an appointment

Send an e-mail to

It is free to have a certificate drawn up. An afschrift (official copy) of the certificate costs: € 14.30

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Woerden

Visiting address

Blekerijlaan 14

3447GR Woerden

Opening hours
08:30 - 16:30
17:30 - 19:30
08:30 - 16:30
08:30 - 16:30
08:30 - 16:30
08:30 - 12:30
Last updated on 27 September 2022