Single Digital Gateway

Municipality of Waadhoeke: registering a stillborn baby

A stillbirth can be registered by:

  • the father or female partner of the mother;
  • the mother;
  • an employee of the hospital;
  • the funeral home;
  • others who know about the death.

Registration in the BRP

You can register your stillborn child in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) if you live or will be living in the Netherlands.

The death must be registered before the funeral or cremation takes place.

This is what you need

  • A valid passport, identity card or valid driver's license belonging to you and your partner
  • Birth certificate (inanimate)
  • Marriage certificate

If your child was stillborn, make an appointment with the municipality where your child was born to register the birth. It is possible to erkennen (acknowledge parenthood) of your stillborn child upon registration. You can also have your child recorded in your trouwboekje (Livret de Famille or Family Book).

Booking an appointment

To make an appointment, contact the municipality.

It is free to have a certificate drawn up. You pay a fee for an afschrift (official copy) of the certificate.

You pay a fee for an afschrift (official copy) of the certificate. For more information, contact the municipality.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Waadhoeke

Visiting address

Harlingerweg 18

8801PA Franeker

Opening hours
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 20.00
8.30 - 17.00
Last updated on 7 December 2022