A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.
A birth certificate for a stillbirth is an official document, proving that your baby was born.
The birth certificate for a stillbirth is recorded in the Registers van de burgerlijke stand (Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships)
Choosing a surname for a stillborn baby
You may choose your child’s surname, which can be either the father’s or the mother’s surname. This choice does not affect the names of any subsequent children, meaning that you can choose a different surname in the future.
You can also register your stillborn baby in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) if you wish. This is a different procedure from registering the birth of your baby as stillborn. You do this in the municipality where you live.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands
A stillbirth can be registered by:
- the father or female partner of the mother;
- the mother;
- an employee of the hospital;
- the funeral home;
- others who know about the stillbirth.
The death must be registered before the funeral or cremation takes place.
- valid proof of identity of the person registering the stillborn baby
- certificate of death issued by the attending physician
- B-envelope (intended for the CBS, Statistics Netherlands) containing information from the physician about the death of your child
- optionally, a completed declaration form in case of a stillbirth
- a completed request if you as parent(s) want to register your stillborn baby in the BRP (Personal Records Database) with your personal data.
If your child was stillborn, make an appointment with the municipality where your child was born to register the birth. It is possible to erkennen (acknowledge parenthood) of your stillborn child upon registration. You can also have your child recorded in your trouwboekje (Livret de Famille or Family Book).
Registration in the BRP
You can register your stillborn child in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) if you live or will be living in the Netherlands.
It is free to register a stillbirth.