Single Digital Gateway

Municipality of Oude IJsselstreek: registering a stillborn baby

When a child dies at birth or is stillborn, this is a tragic event. For parents, it can be very important or even help in the process of mourning tot register your child.  Since 2018, you can register your deceased child, even if it is premature of foetal.

A stillbirth can be registered by:

  • the father or female partner of the mother;
  • the mother;
  • an employee of the hospital;
  • the funeral home;
  • others who know about the death.

Registration in the BRP

You can register your stillborn child in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) if you live or will be living in the Netherlands.

The death must be registered before the funeral or cremation takes place.

If your child is stillborn, make an appointment with the municipality where your child was born to register the birth. It is possible to acknowledge parenthood of your stillborn child upon registration. You can also have your child recorded in your wedding certificate booklet.

Please contact the municipality of Oude IJsselstreek first for more details Contact met de gemeente | Gemeente Oude IJsselstreek (

It is free to have an Akte van geboorte (levenloos) drawn up. An official copy of the certificate is not free of charge.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Oude IJsselstreek

Visiting address

Staringstraat 25

7081BN Gendringen

Opening hours
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 12:30
Last updated on 29 December 2022