Single Digital Gateway

Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands

A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.

A birth certificate for a stillbirth is an official document, proving that your baby was born.

The birth certificate for a stillbirth is recorded in the Registers van de burgerlijke stand (Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships)

Choosing a surname for a stillborn baby

You may choose your child’s surname, which can be either the father’s or the mother’s surname. This choice does not affect the names of any subsequent children, meaning that you can choose a different surname in the future.

You can also register your stillborn baby in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) if you wish. This is a different procedure from registering the birth of your baby as stillborn. You do this in the municipality where you live.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Levenloos geboren kind registreren

Regardless of the gestational age, you can have your stillborn child registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP). You do this in the municipality where you live. With the registration, these children become visible to the parents via In addition, only the civil registry officer has access to this registration. Other government agencies do not receive data on a stillborn child. Registration is at your request and is not mandatory. If you change your mind, the municipality can also delete the registration at a later date at your request.

See the website for more information.

If your child was stillborn, you make an appointment with the municipality where your child was born for the registration. It is possible to acknowledge a stillborn child when registering. Call us to make an appointment.

Free of charge.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Nissewaard

Also useful

Last updated on 27 September 2022