Single Digital Gateway

Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands

A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.

A birth certificate for a stillbirth is an official document, proving that your baby was born.

The birth certificate for a stillbirth is recorded in the Registers van de burgerlijke stand (Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships)

Choosing a surname for a stillborn baby

You may choose your child’s surname, which can be either the father’s or the mother’s surname. This choice does not affect the names of any subsequent children, meaning that you can choose a different surname in the future.

You can also register your stillborn baby in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) if you wish. This is a different procedure from registering the birth of your baby as stillborn. You do this in the municipality where you live.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering the birth of a stillborn baby

If your child was stillborn, you have to register the birth in the municipality where your child was born. It is possible to erkennen (acknowledge parenthood) of your stillborn child upon registration. You can also have your child recorded in your trouwboekje (Livret de Famille or Family Book).

Registration in the BRP

You can register your stillborn child in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) if you live or will be living in the Netherlands.

The death must be registered before the funeral or cremation takes place.

  • copy of your passport or identity card;
  • doctor's statement stillborn child.

Was your child stillborn before February 4, 2019? Then you need a copy of the death certificate or other proof that the child was born, for example a document from the hospital. Do you not have a death certificate yet? In that case, you can request  a copy from the municipality where the child was born. For Nijmegen call +31 24 329 90 00.

If your partner also wants to register the child with his personal data (BRP)

  • copy of your partner's passport or identity card;
  • written consent from your partner to add the child to his personal data.

The written consent must contain the following:

  • surname child;
  • child's first names;
  • day of birth;
  • place of birth;
  • lastname partner;
  • first names partner;
  • date of birth partner;
  • date of consent;
  • signature partner.

In Nijmegen, you can register your stillborn child at the same time as registering it in the BRP (Personal Records Database), if you wish. You can make an appointment or request it in writing.

Booking an appointment

Call municipality of Nijmegen at +31 24 329 90 00.

Request in writing

Gemeente Nijmegen
Postbus 9105
6500 HG Nijmegen

It is free to register your child and have a certificate drawn up.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Nijmegen

Visiting address

Mariënburg 30

6511PS Nijmegen

Opening hours
09:00 -17:00
09:00 -17:00
09:00 -17:00
09:00 -20:00
09:00 -17:00
Last updated on 27 September 2022