Single Digital Gateway

Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands

A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.

A birth certificate for a stillbirth is an official document, proving that your baby was born.

The birth certificate for a stillbirth is recorded in the Registers van de burgerlijke stand (Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships)

Choosing a surname for a stillborn baby

You may choose your child’s surname, which can be either the father’s or the mother’s surname. This choice does not affect the names of any subsequent children, meaning that you can choose a different surname in the future.

You can also register your stillborn baby in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) if you wish. This is a different procedure from registering the birth of your baby as stillborn. You do this in the municipality where you live.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registration stillborn child

If your child was born stillless, you can register your child in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP). It does not matter after how many weeks of pregnancy your child was born. Nor does it matter how long ago the birth took place. This registration makes your child visible on an extract from the BRP. Other government agencies do not receive information about the registration of a stillborn child.

  • you live in the municipality of Nieuwkoop
  • a certificate of birth (lifeless) must be drawn up
  • you can only make a request for yourself, not for the other parent

  • valid proof of identity
  • the birth certificate (inanimate)
  • the completed application form

Do you not have a certificate and was the child born stillless in the municipality of Nieuwkoop? Then make an appointment to draw up a birth certificate (lifeless). You bring documents showing that your child was born stillless. This can be a statement from a doctor, hospital or obstetrician, but possibly also an obituary or information about the burial or cremation.

For the registration of a stillborn child, you can make online an appointment at the Customer Contact Center (KCC) or call +31172521100.

Registering a stillborn child is free of charge.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Nieuwkoop

Visiting address

Teylersplein 1

2441LE Nieuwveen

Opening hours
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 20:00
8:30 - 13:00
Last updated on 27 September 2022