Single Digital Gateway

Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands

A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.

A birth certificate for a stillbirth is an official document, proving that your baby was born.

The birth certificate for a stillbirth is recorded in the Registers van de burgerlijke stand (Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships)

Choosing a surname for a stillborn baby

You may choose your child’s surname, which can be either the father’s or the mother’s surname. This choice does not affect the names of any subsequent children, meaning that you can choose a different surname in the future.

You can also register your stillborn baby in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) if you wish. This is a different procedure from registering the birth of your baby as stillborn. You do this in the municipality where you live.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Moerdijk: Registering a stillborn baby

A stillbirth can be registered by:

  • the father or female partner of the mother;
  • the mother;
  • an employee of the hospital;
  • the funeral home;
  • others who know about the death.

Registration in the BRP

You can register your stillborn child in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) if you live or will be living in the Netherlands.

The death must be registered before the funeral or cremation takes place.

  • At the time of the birth of the child, the parent must be registered in the personal register.
  • A valid source document must be submitted. Depending on the date of birth, this may be a birth certificate and death certificate or a stillbirth certificate (certificate of birth (still)).
  • The request must be made in writing in the municipality of residence of the parent.
  • Each parent must personally request that the child's details be included on his or her personal list.

Does your request meet the conditions? Then fill in the form “Request to include stillborn child on personal list” and hand it in personally at the counter of the town hall. This is only possible by appointment .

Don't forget to bring your ID.

No deed?

No record has ever been drawn up of the stillborn child, what then? Parents can still apply to the civil registry office of the municipality where the child was born to have a certificate of birth (lifeless) drawn up. The civil registrar of the municipality where the birth/decease took place will proceed to this after he has established that a stillborn child has actually been born. Determination is done on the basis of documentary evidence.

NB! It is therefore possible that the birth must be registered in another municipality.

For more information, visit the website of the Dutch government . Here you will also find frequently asked questions.

If your child was stillborn, make an appointment with the municipality where your child was born to register the birth. It is possible to erkennen (acknowledge parenthood) of your stillborn child upon registration. You can also have your child recorded in your trouwboekje (Livret de Famille or Family Book).

Booking an appointment

It is free to have a certificate drawn up. An afschrift (official copy) of the certificate costs: € 15.70

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Moerdijk

Visiting address

Pastoor van Kessellaan 15

4761BJ Zevenbergen

Opening hours
08.30 - 17.00
08.30 - 17.00
08.30 - 17.00
08.30 - 17.00
18.00 - 20.00
08.30 - 12.00
Last updated on 27 September 2022