Single Digital Gateway

Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands

A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.

A birth certificate for a stillbirth is an official document, proving that your baby was born.

The birth certificate for a stillbirth is recorded in the Registers van de burgerlijke stand (Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships)

Choosing a surname for a stillborn baby

You may choose your child’s surname, which can be either the father’s or the mother’s surname. This choice does not affect the names of any subsequent children, meaning that you can choose a different surname in the future.

You can also register your stillborn baby in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) if you wish. This is a different procedure from registering the birth of your baby as stillborn. You do this in the municipality where you live.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands

You can arrange the registration in the BRP in writing or in person at the town hall. Do you prefer the latter. Call us to make an appointment 0492 469 700.

A parent can only submit a request for themselves.

What you need
You will need the following to register your child:

Your valid ID
The certificate of your stillborn child
A birth certificate (lifeless) that is included in the death register of the Dutch Civil Registry.
Possibly a marriage certificate, so that your child can be added to it
The completed registration form Form request registration stillborn child in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP)
Was there no certificate drawn up at the time of your stillborn child?

Do you still want to file a report?
Do you still want to pass on names on an existing deed?
To do this, fill in the following form: BRP form, request amendment of a deed or new deed

You will also need:

A statement from doctor, hospital or obstetrician
An obituary or information about the funeral/cremation
Don't have all the information? The council can probably help you anyway. Feel free to call us during office hours 0492 469 700.

Registration of stillborn child
You can register your stillborn child in the Personal Records Database (BRP). This is not mandatory. You choose whether you want this. You register your child in the municipality where you live. Your child will then be registered under your name in the BRP. Both parents can do this. Registration does not happen automatically when you file a tax return.

The registration is not passed on to other organizations that use the BRP. Your health insurance, the Tax and Customs Administration or the Social Insurance Bank will therefore not be notified.

Declaration of death
If your child was born stillborn after a pregnancy of 24 weeks or more, you must report it to the municipality. It is legally required to have your child buried or cremated. You do not have to report a pregnancy shorter than 24 weeks, but you are allowed to. You do this at the municipality where your child was born.

It is free to have a certificate drawn up. An afschrift (official copy) of the certificate costs: €.

You pay a fee for an afschrift (official copy) of the certificate. For more information, contact the municipality

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Laarbeek

Last updated on 27 September 2022