Single Digital Gateway

Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands

A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.

A birth certificate for a stillbirth is an official document, proving that your baby was born.

The birth certificate for a stillbirth is recorded in the Registers van de burgerlijke stand (Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships)

Choosing a surname for a stillborn baby

You may choose your child’s surname, which can be either the father’s or the mother’s surname. This choice does not affect the names of any subsequent children, meaning that you can choose a different surname in the future.

You can also register your stillborn baby in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) if you wish. This is a different procedure from registering the birth of your baby as stillborn. You do this in the municipality where you live.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Register stillborn child

A stillbirth can be registered by:

  • the father or female partner of the mother;
  • the mother;
  • an employee of the hospital;
  • the funeral home;
  • others who know about the death.

Registration in the BRP

You can register your stillborn child in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) if you live or will be living in the Netherlands.

The death must be registered before the funeral or cremation takes place.

  • You can make the request if you lived in the Netherlands at the time of the birth and were registered in the BRP.
  • It doesn't matter when your baby was born or how long the pregnancy lasted.
  • You can only register your child in the BRP for yourself.

  • A certificate of birth (still) or a certificate of a stillborn child.
  • A valid ID.

What do I need if my child was born abroad?

  • Documents of the birth, such as a certificate drawn up abroad, stating that your child was born stillless.
  • If it is difficult for you to obtain these documents, report this to the municipality. Because this is a very personal situation, the rules are dealt with mildly and understandingly. You can get a statement about the birth of your child from the municipality.

  • Submit a request to the municipality where you live.
  • To be able to register your child, a birth certificate (stillless) or a certificate of stillborn child is required. If you do not have such a certificate, you can still have it drawn up in the municipality where your child was born.
  • It is possible that the names of your child are not on the certificate of birth (stillborn) or certificate of stillborn child. In this case you provide the names with your request for registration in the BRP. Parents can therefore specify a different name separately from each other. That is not a problem in this situation.

Drawing up the document is free. You do have to pay a fee for requesting a copy. For more information, please contact the municipality on telephone number 14 0182.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Krimpenerwaard

Visiting address

Dorpsplein 8

2821AS Stolwijk

Opening hours
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 16.00
17.00 - 20.00
8.30 - 17.00
Last updated on 27 September 2022