Single Digital Gateway

Municipality of Houten: registering a stillborn baby

A stillbirth can be registered by:

  • the father or female partner of the mother;
  • the mother;
  • an employee of the hospital;
  • the funeral home;
  • others who know about the death.

Registering in BRP

You can register your stillborn child in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP) if you live or will live in the Netherlands.

The request can be made retroactively; children born lifeless earlier can also be included in the basic registration. The only condition is that you were registered in the Netherlands at the time of birth.
No minimum duration of pregnancy is required for registration in the BRP.

If your child was stillborn, make an appointment with the municipality where your child was born for the declaration. It is possible to acknowledge a stillborn child upon registration. You can also register your child in your marriage booklet.

Making an appointment

Contact the municipality by phone at (030) 63 92 611 to discuss your request. If you would rather not have personal contact, you can also send us an email

There is no charge.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Houten

Last updated on 6 December 2022