Single Digital Gateway

Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands

A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.

A birth certificate for a stillbirth is an official document, proving that your baby was born.

The birth certificate for a stillbirth is recorded in the Registers van de burgerlijke stand (Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships)

Choosing a surname for a stillborn baby

You may choose your child’s surname, which can be either the father’s or the mother’s surname. This choice does not affect the names of any subsequent children, meaning that you can choose a different surname in the future.

You can also register your stillborn baby in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) if you wish. This is a different procedure from registering the birth of your baby as stillborn. You do this in the municipality where you live.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registration of stillborn births

If your child was born stillless, you can register your child in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP). It does not matter after how many weeks of pregnancy your baby was born. It does also not matter how long ago the birth took place.

  • You live in the municipality of Hoorn
  • A birth certificate (lifeless) must be drawn up. Do you no longer know whether a birth certificate was drawn up? Then contact the municipality where the child was born stillless.
  • Each parent must make a request for himself. Permission from the other parent is not required.


  • DigiD
  • the birth certificate (inanimate)

Appointment at City Hall

  • A valid ID
  • the birth certificate (inanimate)

If your child was stillborn, make an appointment with the municipality where your child was born to register the birth.

You can also request an extract from BRP (birth certificate). More information can be found on the request written proof of this.

You pay a fee for an afschrift (official copy) of the certificate. For more information, contact the municipality.

That differs per situation. In some cases, your child will be placed in the BRP immediately during the appointment. For example, if you bring a birth certificate (lifeless) to the appointment.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Hoorn

Last updated on 27 September 2022