Single Digital Gateway

Municipality of Dijk en Waard: registering a stillborn baby

Registration in the BRP

You can register your stillborn child in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) if you live or will be living in the Netherlands.

Documents showing that your child was born lifeless, such as:

  • a statement from a doctor, hospital or midwife
  • an obituary or information about the funeral or cremation

Don't have this information? The municipality can probably help you anyway. Please contact us to discuss the possibilities.

You must also bring:

  • a valid proof of identity for yourself (passport, ID card or driver's license)
  • possibly your marriage certificate so that your child can be added to it

If your child was stillborn, make an appointment with the municipality where your child was born to register the birth. It is possible to erkennen (acknowledge parenthood) of your stillborn child upon registration. You can also have your child recorded in your trouwboekje (Livret de Famille or Family Book).

Booking an appointment

Please contact us to make an appointment.

Drawing up the certificate and registration in the BRP is free of charge.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Dijk en Waard

Last updated on 4 October 2022