Single Digital Gateway

Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands

A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.

A birth certificate for a stillbirth is an official document, proving that your baby was born.

The birth certificate for a stillbirth is recorded in the Registers van de burgerlijke stand (Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships)

Choosing a surname for a stillborn baby

You may choose your child’s surname, which can be either the father’s or the mother’s surname. This choice does not affect the names of any subsequent children, meaning that you can choose a different surname in the future.

You can also register your stillborn baby in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) if you wish. This is a different procedure from registering the birth of your baby as stillborn. You do this in the municipality where you live.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of De Wolden: Registering a stillborn baby

A stillbirth can be registered by:

  • the father or female partner of the mother;
  • the mother;
  • an employee of the hospital;
  • the funeral home;
  • others who know about the death.

Registration in the BRP

You can register your stillborn child in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) if you live or will be living in the Netherlands.

The death must be registered before the funeral or cremation takes place.

  • You can only have your child registered in the BRP for yourself and not on behalf of the other parent.
  • Do you not have a certificate of birth (still) or a certificate of a stillborn child? Then you can still have it made in the municipality where your child was born. Both parents must be present.
  • Is your child's name not on the certificate? Then you provide the names with your request for registration in the BRP. Parents can separately specify a different name in this situation.

  • A certificate of birth (still) or a certificate of a stillborn child
  • Your valid proof of identity (passport, ID card or driver's license)

If your child was stillborn, you can make an appointment with the municipality to register the birth: +31528378200. You can fill in the form or pick it up at our counter. It is possible to acknowledge parenthood of your stillborn child upon registration. You can also have your child recorded in your trouwboekje (Livret de Famille or Family Book).

You only pay a fee for an afschrift (official copy) of the certificate. For more information, please contact the municipality: +31528378200 or .

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of De Wolden

Visiting address

Raadhuisstraat 2

7921GD Zuidwolde

Opening hours
8:30 - 13:30
8:30 - 13:30
8:30 - 16:00
18:00 - 20:00
8:30 - 13:30
8:30 - 13:30
Last updated on 27 September 2022