Single Digital Gateway

Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands

A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.

A birth certificate for a stillbirth is an official document, proving that your baby was born.

The birth certificate for a stillbirth is recorded in the Registers van de burgerlijke stand (Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships)

Choosing a surname for a stillborn baby

You may choose your child’s surname, which can be either the father’s or the mother’s surname. This choice does not affect the names of any subsequent children, meaning that you can choose a different surname in the future.

You can also register your stillborn baby in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) if you wish. This is a different procedure from registering the birth of your baby as stillborn. You do this in the municipality where you live.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Apeldoorn: Registering a stillborn baby

You can register your lifeless baby in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). You can do this in the municipality where you live. It does not matter after how many weeks of pregnancy your baby was born or how long ago it was.

To register your baby in the Basic Registration of Persons, a deed is required. If your child came into the world lifeless, this is a 'deed of birth (lifeless)'. Do you have this deed or do you know that this deed has been drawn up? If so, you do not need to read the text below. Then read Step 2.

If there is no certificate or if you are not sure

If there is no deed yet, then one needs to be made. If you do not know if there is a deed, then it must be found out for you. Only the municipality where your child was born can do that.

  • If your child was born in Apeldoorn, we will prepare the deed and provide it free of charge. Make an appointment via You can also call 14 055 to make the appointment.
  • Do you live in Apeldoorn but your child was born in another municipality in the Netherlands? If so, contact that other municipality. Once you have the deed, you can make an appointment in Apeldoorn to register your child in the BRP.
  • Do you live in Apeldoorn but your child was born abroad? Call 14 055 to find out the best thing to do.

About the certificate

If your child comes into the world lifeless, the civil registry will draw up a 'certificate of birth (lifeless)'. It makes no difference whether your child was born lifeless after a pregnancy of more or less than 24 weeks. You can have your baby's first and last names included in the certificate. The deed will also include the names of you and your partner. You can also have your child added to your marriage booklet.

You should bring this with you to the appointment
Documents proving that your child was born lifeless, such as:

  • a declaration from a doctor, hospital or midwife
  • an obituary or information about the funeral or cremation

Do you not have this information? That does not matter. The municipality can probably still help you. You will be told when you visit. You can also call 14 055 first. You will also need to bring

  • valid proof of your identity (passport, ID card or driving licence)
  • possibly your marriage booklet so that your child can be registered in it

Preparation of the deed is free of charge.

This varies depending on the situation. In some cases, we can put your child in the Basic Registration of Persons immediately during the appointment. For example, if you bring the birth certificate (lifeless) to the appointment, or if the certificate is already in the system.

Often we cannot register your baby right away. For example, in these cases:

  • Your baby was born before 1985. You do not know whether a deed was ever drawn up.
  • The deed does not contain your child's first names.
  • The deed does not state whether your child was a boy or a girl.

If we cannot register your child immediately, we will look for you. This sometimes takes a few days and sometimes a few weeks.

Other municipality

If your child was born in another municipality, you must also take into account the processing time of that municipality.


If the municipality has registered your child in the BRP, it will take another 2 to 3 days before you see this in MijnOverheid.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Apeldoorn

Visiting address

Marktplein 1

7311LG Apeldoorn

Opening hours
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 19:30
08:30 - 12:30
Last updated on 27 September 2022