Single Digital Gateway

Municipality of Rotterdam: registering a foreign document

Please note: you can register a foreign document only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Do you want to register a foreign document? You must book an appointment with the municipality in order to do so.

By telephone 

To book an appointment call our municipal service number 14 010. When you call from abroad, call +31 10 267 16 25.


On the webpage Buitenlandse documenten registreren you van book an appointment online.

You must bring the following documents to the appointment:

  • the original document;
  • your passport and/or identity card (or a copy thereof);
  • an official translation of the document by a sworn translator; this is only necessary if the document is not in Dutch, English, German or French.

Are you having a document legalised for someone else? If so, you will also need an authorisation form [link to form].

Document entered in the municipality’s BRP

The municipality will then enter your document in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database).

Having a document converted into a Dutch document

Do you wish to have your document converted into an official Dutch document? If so, you must first register your foreign document with the municipality in which you are registered. The municipality will enter the document in the BRP. You can then have the document converted into a Dutch document in the municipality of Den Haag.

To do this, make an appointment with the municipality of Den Haag.

The registration of a foreign document is free of charge.

It takes 3 to 6 weeks to have a foreign document converted into a Dutch document. If further research is neccessary, it could take longer. You will learn the estimated time during your appointment.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Rotterdam

Last updated on 5 December 2022