Single Digital Gateway

Registering a foreign document in the Netherlands

Do you have a foreign document, such as a birth certificate, a death certificate or divorce documents? If you are a citizen of the Netherlands or a refugee with a temporary asylum residence permit (statushouder) you must register it with the municipality where you live.

Most documents from the European Union (EU) are automatically valid in the Netherlands. You can register these documents with your municipality.

The municipality records these documents in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). In other cases, you will first need to have your document translated and then legalised.

Is your document in English, French or German? Then you do not need to have your deed translated.

Is your document in another language? Then you need to have your document translated into Dutch before registering it. You must have your document translated by a sworn translator in the Netherlands. Was your document translated outside the Netherlands? Then you will need to have the translation of your document legalised.

Do you think you will need a copy of your document at a later date? Then you can choose to have your foreign document converted into an official Dutch document (akte) at the municipality of Den Haag (The Hague). This can make it easier for you if you need an official copy (afschrift) while resident in the Netherlands. Converting your foreign document to a Dutch document is not compulsory.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Oisterwijk: Registering a foreign document

Please note: you can register a foreign document only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Do you want to register a foreign document? You must book an appointment with the municipality in order to do so. Make your appointment here.

Valid proof of identity of every person being registered

Travel document or another document proving your nationality

If you were born abroad: a recent copy of the birth certificate, which must not have been issued more than six months ago. In addition, if applicable, an extract from the marriage certificate, a copy of the divorce certificate, or a copy of your partner's death certificate

For citizens from the Netherlands Antilles or Aruba: proof of deregistration

Rental or purchase contract for your home or permission from the main occupant with whom you are going to live. You draw up a declaration of consent yourself and it is signed by both of you

Please note that only English, French or German deeds are accepted. Documents in another language must be translated by a sworn translator. Depending on the country of issue, the documents must meet the legalization requirements.

The registration of a foreign document is free of charge.

It takes a maximum of 4 months to have a foreign document converted into a Dutch document. Urgent requests are not possible.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Oisterwijk

Last updated on 22 September 2022